Messages

Blog entries

About Me

My photo
I want to grow as a leader, and I want to help others grow. Sharing my thoughts on leadership is intended to help us grow together into all God wants for us. I hope you enjoy my blog.

Followers

Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Reset

     "And be renewed in the spirit of your mind."  Eph. 4:23.  We are continually needing a renewal of our minds.  Many times improper thoughts, corrupt attitudes and wrong perspectives get added into our thinking that need to be cleaned out.  Our minds are somewhat like a computer.  The computer has a reset button that can restore the computer back to its default settings.  This reset button is used when you want to clean out your computer from added information you don't want anymore, and from corrupt files that destroy the computer's ability to function properly.  We are now in a time where it seems like God is wanting to reset His church.  He is dealing with our perspectives and priorities, and showing us once again what is important in life.  We have been dealing with the coronavirus, which has required people all over the world to stay home, and to maintain physical distance.  This is a time when people's perspectives are changing, and we are reevaluating our lives.  The heroes of our world have changed from sports celebrities and Hollywood, to the people who are caring for us and providing the essential services we need.
     How do I reset my life before God?  I want to suggest 4 ways.  First, there needs to be repentance in our hearts.  Repentance is a change of direction, a change in thinking.  "Repent for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" were the first words from John the Baptist and from Jesus.  Matt. 3:3; 4:17.  True change can only come through repentance.  It is the acknowledgement that I need forgiveness, and that I have been going to wrong direction.  It is David's prayer of Ps. 139:23,24 "Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting."  It is the forgiveness of 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 
     This leads to the second thing, which is humility.  Humility cries out for help.  The humble heart realizes he cannot do it on his own, that he needs God's help in his life.  The prophet Joel called the people to return to the Lord.  They had gone after their own ways, and were now being overcome by their enemy.  Humility says to God, "I need you, and I will follow You and trust You."
   The third thing for a reset in our lives is love.  To love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength is the first and greatest commandment.  To truly love our neighbor is the next commandment that we must follow.  Only God can give us a heart of love for our neighbors that really cares and reaches out to those around us.  This heart of love is one that is being cleansed of all bitterness, and anger, and unforgiveness toward others. 
      These things lead us to a place of unity.  "How good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity." Ps. 133:1.  Unity expresses a real appreciation of others. It cares about others, and walks together.  "How can two walk together unless they are agreed?"  Even for two people to take a walk it requires unity.  God wants us to walk together in unity with one another. 
     We can have a reset of our spiritual life through repentance, humility, love and unity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment