Messages

Blog entries

About Me

My photo
I want to grow as a leader, and I want to help others grow. Sharing my thoughts on leadership is intended to help us grow together into all God wants for us. I hope you enjoy my blog.

Followers

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Finding Purpose

Many people find difficulty in finding their purpose in life.  It is often difficult for people to put into words what they feel God's purpose is for their lives.  The life of Moses gives us an amazing example of God working out His purpose.  The life of Moses can be roughly divided into 3 parts.  His first 40 years were spent in Pharoah's palace, being taught by his mother and the Pharoah.  His next 40 years were spent out in the desert herding flocks.  He was married there and had 2 children.  He is most well known for his last 40 years which started when he was 80 years old!  Had we been able to ask him what God's purpose for his life was during his first 80 years, he would not have known the answer.  God's purpose took time to unfold and be revealed.  It is very encouraging that God called him to deliver the children of Israel at 80 years old!  May the last third of our lives be the most fruitful!  God may call you to do surprising and wonderful things in the last years of your life.  This is not a time to sit back and do nothing, but to stay attentive to the voice of God, and hear a fresh word from God for the purpose of your life.  As long as you are here on planet earth, there is a purpose for your life. 
In 1 Cor. 9:24-27 Paul likens the Christian life to a race.  In a race there is a goal you are trying to reach.  If there is no goal you don't have a race.  The goal brings focus to the runners.  They know what they are trying to achieve.  The goal brings motivation, because they have something to strive towards.  The goal brings discipline, because the runners know they cannot win without disciplining their lives.  The Christian life needs to have goals.  It needs to find purpose which will bring focus and motivation and discipline.  Purpose determines your course and directs you away from distractions.  It keeps you on course through the hard times, and times when you feel like quitting.  Purpose motivates you to get up each day and work toward achieving the goal. 
I made a list of goals for my own life that have brought purpose and motivation for me:
1. To have eternal life.  More than anything, I want my name to be written in the Book of Life.  This happened the day I accepted Jesus into my life as Lord and Savior.
2. To follow Jesus.  Jesus said that if anyone will come after Him, he must deny himself, take up his cross and follow Him.  It is my purpose to follow Jesus for my entire life.
3. To love my wife.  "Husbands love your wives, as Christ also loved the church."  It is my purpose to love my wife and be a godly husband.
4. To bring up my children (and now grandchildren) in the Lord.  It has been my purpose to bring up my children in the Lord, and live a life that is a good example for them to follow.
5. To be in fellowship with the church.  As a part of the body of Christ, I cannot fulfill my purpose alone.  It is my purpose to always be in fellowship with the body of Christ.
6. To provide for my family.  "For the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children."  Both spiritually and physically I want to be a good provider for my family.
7. To use my gifts and abilities.  "Having then gifts differing...let us use them."  I want to use every ability I have to glorify God and to reach out for the kingdom of God.
May you find God's purpose for your life as you seek to follow Jesus every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment