Matt. 5:6 says, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled." There are 5 things I noticed about hunger, and the importance of staying hungry for righteousness.
1. Hunger is healthy. It is a very healthy sign if a person is hungry. When a child is not hungry and is too lethargic to eat, it is a sign that something is seriously wrong. It is so much better to have a child crying for food, than for the child to have no appetite. We too are to be like new born babies, crying out for more of God's Word. 1 Pet. 2:2 says, "as newborn babies, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby."
2. Hunger brings growth. Only through hunger can we grow physically, and only the spiritually hungry will experience growth in their walk with God. 2 Pet. 3:18, "But grow in the grace and knowldege of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever, Amen."
3. Hunger causes you to seek. We are told by Jesus to seek first the kingdom of God. This spiritual hunger will take care of the other needs in our lives. It was David's great desire to spend his life seeking after the presence of the Lord, Ps. 27:4,5. A person will be motivated by hunger. Pro. 16:26 says, "The person who labors, labors for himself, for his hungry mouth drives him on." A hunger for God will motivate you to seek God deeply for the answers you need. In fact, only those who diligently seek Him will please God, and find Him to be a rewarder.
4. Hunger opens new doors. "For He satisfies the longing soul, and fills the hungry soul with goodness." Ps. 107:9. Israel's journey was up and down, depending on their hunger. When they stopped seeking God, they fell into the depths of distress. When they sought God, He lifted them up, and delivered them from their enemies. Hunger defines your path! Hunger creates your life! You will follow the path of your hunger!
5. Hunger brings appreciation. "A satisfied soul loathes the honeycomb, but to a hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet." Pro. 27:7. A hungry person appreciates any food he can find. A full person can even find sweet food replusive, because he is not hungry. That's why we are told not to go shopping when we are hungry! Everything looks good when you're hungry! A spiritually hungry person appreciates anything about Jesus. Any song, any Scripture, any word about Jesus is good when you are hungry.
Are you hungry for righteousness today?
- ▼ June (6)
- ► 2012 (31)