Messages

Blog entries

About Me

My photo
I want to grow as a leader, and I want to help others grow. Sharing my thoughts on leadership is intended to help us grow together into all God wants for us. I hope you enjoy my blog.

Followers

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Priorities

The familiar story of Mary and Martha serves us well in talking about priorities.  Jesus came to their house, and the two women responded in different ways to His coming.  Martha became very busy and distracted with much serving.  Her focus was on the state of the house, the preparation of the food, and the whole appearance of everything in the house.  I don't blame Martha at all.  When someone is coming over who is of the highest dignity and worth, it is expected we would feel pressure to get the house in shape, and serve in the very best way.  Mary's response was different, in that she sat at His feet and heard His word.  Martha even asked Jesus to tell Mary to come and help, yet Jesus said that Mary had chosen that good thing which shall not be taken away from her.  There were not a whole list of priorities, and do and don'ts. There was one thing needed, and that was what Mary had chosen.  I fall into the Martha syndrome at church sometimes, thinking most about the cleanliness of the carpet, the straightness of the rows of chairs, the temperature in the building, but that is not what church is about!  I asked myself, "What did Jesus want?"  What did He want out of the visit at Mary and Martha's house?  What was He concerned about?  Now we know, that what He wanted was time to fellowship with them.  He wasn't concerned about the other things.  He came for fellowship.  What does God want in my life?  Why did He come into my heart?  To give me a list of do's and don'ts?  To give me a bunch of rules to follow, and if I slip up, He is ready with a big stick?  No!!!  He came to fellowship with me.  He came for relationship.  He stands at the door and knocks, to see if I will open the door, so He can come in and sup with me.  "For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption, by whom we cry out, Abba, Father."  Rom. 8:15  The Spirit in us cries out for the Abba, Daddy relationship with the Father.  That's why He came into my life.  "And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, 'Abba, Father.'"  Develop the relationship today.  Sit at His feet, and talk with Him, and He will fellowship with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment