"By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, now knowing where he was going." Heb. 11:8.
There are 7 parts to this verse that show us how to fulfil the calling on our lives.
1. By faith - We must watch over our faith so that it continues to grow. Jesus spoke of those who had great faith, little faith, and no faith. The parable of the sower and the seed shows how faith grows from a seed to bearing fruit. The seed must overcome many challenges in order to bear fruit. We face satanic attack, afflictions and persecutions, worries of life, deceitfulness of riches, and desires for other things entering in. We must continually feed our faith with the Word so it can grow and overcome the challenges. We will need to live by faith to fulfil our call.
2. Abraham obeyed - It is not enough to have faith, and to know the Word, we must put it into action. We must have corresponding actions with our faith. When we look into the mirror of God's Word, we need to adjust our lives according to the mirror. Faith without works is dead. Faith requires us to act out in obedience what God has said in our hearts.
3. When he was called - God called Abraham for a specific purpose, and God calls each of us for a specific purpose. Jesus called the disciples, and they left their nets and their old life to follow Him. The Spirit of God is now calling people to follow. The Spirit and the bride say "Come". There is a calling on every one of our lives. We must acknowledge that call, and give attention to that call.
4. To go out - Our calling will require us to go out - out of our comfort zone, out of the familiar and known. Jesus said that we must lose our lives in order to find new life. We must go out from our old lives and leave them behind in order to move into the new things God has for us.
5. To the place - God has a new place for you to live - a new way of living, a new attitude, a new love, a new way of thinking. Rom. 12:2 says we are transformed by the renewing of our minds. To renew is to renovate. Renovating means out with the old, and in with the new. To be renewed we must let go of the past, and be filled with all the new things God wants to pour into our lives.
6. Which he would receive as an inheritance - To this day we benefit from the inheritance that Abraham received. When we move out into our calling, we will move into our inheritance that God has already planned for us. This inheritance will bring great benefit to our lives and those around us.
7. And he went out, not knowing where he was going - God will not show us everything about where we are going, but He will show us enough for today. His Word is a lamp unto our feet, and a light unto our path. As we are obedient in what He wants us to do today, He will show us the way into the future. The Amplified Version says, "he did not know or trouble his mind about where he was to go." Don't trouble your mind about the future. Rest in knowing that God will show you the next step.
You can fulfil your calling!
- ► 2013 (33)
- ► 2012 (31)