Messages

Blog entries

About Me

My photo
I want to grow as a leader, and I want to help others grow. Sharing my thoughts on leadership is intended to help us grow together into all God wants for us. I hope you enjoy my blog.

Followers

Monday, June 18, 2012

Lazarus At My Gate

In May 2012 the population of the world exceeded 7 billion people.  To these people we are commanded to go to preach the gospel.  This requires a heart of love.  There is a battle for our heart everyday, and we must win the battle over selfishness if we will ever be able to obey Christ's command to reach the world.  The battle can be seen in the story Jesus taught about the rich man and the poor beggar named Lazarus.  The whole story is found in Luke 16:19-31.  The beggar named Lazarus, full of sores, was laid at the rich man's gate.  Everyday the rich man saw the beggar at his gate.  Everyday the needs of the beggar were before the rich man's eyes, yet he was unmoved in his heart toward the beggar.  He never once stopped to help Lazarus or consider his needs.  The dogs came and licked the poor man's sores, while the rich man lived in luxury and fared sumptuously everyday.  Lazarus hoped for some crumbs that fell from the rich man's table.  I suddenly was convicted that sometimes my life may look more like the rich man's than the poor man's.  How many times have I seen a need and been unmoved to help?  How many times has Lazarus been at my gate, and I have not stopped to consider his needs?  I felt sorry for the poor man as I read the story, but as I continued to read, I started feeling sorry for the rich man.  Now in hell, the rich man pleads that Lazarus would come and dip his finger in water to cool his tongue, for he was tormented in the flame.  Now the rich man needs Lazarus!  He never needed him before, but now he needs him.  How many times have we felt like we didn't need the poor beggar, or the homeless?  How hard our hearts can be toward others, and yet, there may come a day when we need them.  Even though I am blessed, and now "rich", may my life not resemble the rich man.  May I never lose the love of God toward those not as fortunate as I.  May I always have a heart of thanksgiving for what God has done, and may I always know that I am what I am by the grace of God.  I could have so easily been the poor man.  What a responsibility I have toward all people, whether rich or poor.  What selfishness there is in my own heart yet to conquer.  How can I fulfill the great commission if I don't have compassion in my heart for the people near me?  Only a daily time spent with God, and the move of the Holy Spirit in my heart, can keep my heart soft and filled with compassion to move toward the unloved and the broken.  Help me God, not to be like the rich man, but to have a heart that cares for people.

No comments:

Post a Comment