Messages

Blog entries

About Me

My photo
I want to grow as a leader, and I want to help others grow. Sharing my thoughts on leadership is intended to help us grow together into all God wants for us. I hope you enjoy my blog.

Followers

Monday, January 24, 2011

Pulling Down Strongholds

A stronghold in the Old Testament was a place of refuge or a hideout, like a cave or den in the mountains, where people could hide from their enemy. The New Testament uses the word in 2 Cor. 10:3-5, "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ." The strongholds we battle against are thoughts in our minds that have taken a strong hold on our minds, that keep us in bondage to lies, and wrong thinking. The battlefield for the Christian is in the mind, where Satan rages against the work of God in our lives. The enemy works through deceiving thoughts, lies, and half truths to gain entrance and control in the life of the believer in Jesus. We can choose our thoughts. We must take responsibility for our thoughts. Just as I must take personal responsibility for the cleanliness of where I live, so I must take personal responsibility for the cleanliness of my mind. I can choose my thoughts, and I must choose my thoughts carefully, or else my mind will become a garbage pit for any thought. The renewing of the mind is a process that takes constant persistence in enforcing the truth of God's Word into our minds. We are told by the apostle Paul to choose our thoughts carefully. Phil. 4:8 says, "Finally brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things." This is bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ. This is pulling down strongholds. This is casting down imaginations and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. It is not enough to simply reject and rebuke wrong thoughts, we must replace the wrong thoughts with the thoughts of the Word of God. This is when we will begin to experience the truth of Jesus' words to us, "If you abide in My Word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:31,32

No comments:

Post a Comment